Thursday, October 27, 2011

Surviving Dengue and Beating the Odds

Hi. I missed you, my blog site. This has been the longest I have not visited and written an article in my site. Why? Either I am mostly not in the mood or sick! Yes, it has been almost two weeks that I have to deal with Dengue (more completely known as Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever).
Even as a healthcare professional, I seem to be a bit mystified by this disease, sickness, evil thing, or whatever you term one may want to call it by. I mean, it has been in the news forever, revisiting the headlines for almost every rainy season. “Dengue cases on the rise”. “Dengue outbreak declared”. “Dengue claims a child’s life anew”. It is scary to hear it from the news. It is even scarier if you have to experience it personally. I think you seem to not really know about it until it hits you. This is what happened to me this October 2011.

It all started with simple fever (38.7 C at that!) one Wednesday night, accompanied by joint pains , constant throbbing headache, a bit of lower extremity myalgia (muscle weakness), and loss of appetite. I just took paracatemol as I dismissed as a case of “trangkaso”. But it seems more than that as I have to take two paracetamol and an “Alaxan” to somewhat ease out the freaking headache and for my body temperature go down. It took almost the entire day to perspire or “gisawan”. Well, with the fever gone, I was able to feel a bit comfortable. Lab results from that day revealed only a bacterial cause of infection and tests for Dengue NS1 were negative. (This was only an ER consultation.) However I felt that it is not yet over as the headache is still there (even if it’s not that painful anymore).

True enough, my body temperature rose again that evening. It went on and off until Saturday morning. That Saturday morning spelled the difference. I had sensation then to vomit. “Naduduwal lang ako.” But what eventually came out what was tinges of blood. Back to the hospital! The latest laboratory results look promising! Alas, too bad for me! My hematocrit is on the rise and platelet count is dropping. Impression: Dengue. So I have to be confined that day in Manila. Intravenous fluid was started with STAT order for fast drip of plain NSS. My platelet count needs to be rescued! Further laboratory work out reveals positive (+) NS 1 Ig G. So as prognosis favored Dengue, petechiae in the earlobes and dengue rash started to appear. Again, I had a fever again that evening. It was the last time I had a fever. However, more rashes started to appear in the lower extremities.


For three and a half days, my platelet count was monitored every morning and I was infused with 1 bottle of plain NSS and 5 bottles of D5 Lactated Ringer’s (D5LR). Input and output was constantly measured and monitored. I was discharged Tuesday evening. I was told to rest and continue increased intake of oral fluids. Well for two days, my body still feels weak. Recovery was well on its way Friday as I was able to regain more strength. And eventually, I was able to run and complete my first ever half marathon (21 km) on a Sunday. I have completely recovered! Talk about beating the odds! Life is a celebration! All thanks to the doctors and staff nurses of Hospital of Infant Jesus and my family who accompanied me, took care of me, and prayed for me throughout my ordeal. More importantly, I thank God for letting me survive and win against Dengue Grade/Stage II!


Because of what I have experienced, I tend to drink more fluids now (water and juices). Let’s say I am not an avid fan of fluids before. I only drink after eating. Also, “off” lotion is of more of a constant regimen now for me. I am now more wary of the place I go. I hate the female Aedes aegypti mosquito! As a reminder to all, I end my article with these reminders about the dreaded Aedes mosquito and of the Dengue it causes:

Aedes aegypti , the mosquito usually bites at dusk and dawn but may bite at any time during the day - especially indoors and in shady areas, it is low flying (so have your lower extremities protected also, apply insect repellant or wear long clothes – long sleeved, pajamas and the like- as applicable), they stated on clean stagnant water (cover all water containers).

On Dengue – on the first signs of off and on fever, consult a doctor immediately so as monitoring and follow up check up can be done. Do not wait until bleeding episodes appear before consulting a doctor. In any sickness, most of all pray and be optimistic always. (Who would have thought I will be able to complete my first 21 km of run after an ordeal with Dengue?! That is being optimistic about the odds of life!)
Wait! Come to think of it?! Why do Dengue outbreaks happen every year during the rainy season? Are there no long term solutions to this for cases can be lowered down significantly? Why does the health sector of the government (most especially the health leaders) seem to have heightened alert only during the rainy season? Would it be more ideal if we all in the health sector be involved in preventive measures all year long? Would it be more of good cause for all of us be involved in cleaning up surroundings all year long and not be dependent on seasonal clean up drives, fumigation and breeding places destruction campaign?  Constant  and responsible effort is the key isn’t it? Give it a thought.
Ciao! Life’s a blessing! Until the next blog article!

No comments:

Post a Comment